Here's the situation: it's 4:30 PM and you just found out that the $1300 security deposit you need to pay tomorrow morning has to be a money order or a cashier's check. You're 2000 miles away from the nearest branch of your (once) local credit union. They're on the east coast and are closed. You have $200 cash in pocket.
You quickly misread a Wikipedia page and think money orders only go up to $1000. You realize that most banks won't let you open an account without an in-state license or at least an in-state address.
Here's what to do:
- Look online to find a nearby bank that is open until 6 PM.
- Go to an ATM and take out $500.
- Have your wife take out $500.
- Take out another few hundred on a credit card (ouch).
- Walk into the bank half an hour before they close with an inch-stack of 20's in your hand.
- Explain that you want to open an account and get a cashier's check the next morning.
- IMPORTANT: Try not to look like a criminal!
So far so good. Now we need to see if the property management company will stick to their word tomorrow and let us move in.